Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Sew Straight & Gather Legends Dress Review



I wanted a new dress for Easter, but I wanted it to be a dress I would want to wear a lot so knit fabric would be a bonus, but I wanted it to be more than a t-shirt dress. The recent Legends dress by Sew Straight & Gather fit the bill perfectly.

Ladies Legends Collection

What a beauty, right? You can make a dress or a top with all different sleeve options including sleeveless. This is not something I could dare try to hack myself so I happily bought the pattern, actually the bundle so Elena will be getting one soon too. I love the dropped waist dress version for kids. So for being a knit dress, this pattern brings elegance, comfort, class, and fun sewing.

Fun sewing? The clean finishes inside and that collar/neckline make this a fun sew. There is a video tutorial in case you need extra help, but the instructions are really very good. I loved everything about making this dress. I did make a crazy ugly muslin out of scraps of fabric. It was soooo ugly, but it served it's purpose in testing size and techniques. I think that the cotton lycra (the recommended fabric) I muslin-ed with was lighter weight with maybe a little less lycra content than my dress version. Not by much, but as a result, the dress is a little tighter across the shoulders/bust than I intended, but I think it's a pretty good fit (and I'm always hopeful I'll lose those 10 pounds).


I was worried that the gathered skirt wouldn't be flattering, but I like it. It hits high enough (at true waist) that it highlights the narrowest part and floats out over the not great parts below. I am 47 years old and getting so tired of holding in my stomach, but I will not give up the fight, I will not go quietly into the night... (anyone else excited for the Independence Day sequel?)

Back to the dress, I think I would add in seam pockets to the skirt next time. They aren't included, but would be a very practical addition. I look forward to a long sleeved top version for fall. And since the front of the bodice is 2 layers, I'm thinking that is the perfect canvas for some reverse applique. There was nothing bad about this pattern at all. I love it. Totally worth the money. 







Have you tried this pattern yet? I'd love to see your version if so. Leave a link in the comments. Thanks for reading and have a great week!


3 comments:

  1. You have done a wonderful job, the fit is perfect! The neckline is very interesting. And how great is that you can match your kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely, great shape and beautiful colour. The neckline is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first saw this in Instagram I was like wow!! This looks so good on you! I didn't know about this pattern company, I guess I have to take a look :).

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I'll respond via e-mail if I can or here if that's not possible.