Thursday, June 18, 2015

Shorts & a Halter


This outfit and this post was supposed to be about the shorts, but I think the halter top is stealing the show. So let me just tell you quickly about the shorts (which I LOVE) and then we'll get to the top.

 

These shorts are pretty much the same as the last turquoise ones. I used the Titchy Threads Twisted Trousers pattern again but with the racer short modification I learned from Dana at Made. I switched out the pockets for the ones from the Japanese shorts made recently too. Apparently, I am incapable of sewing a pattern as is. ;-P But I'm pretty glad about that. The fabric is the scraps left from one yard of stretch twill from Girl Charlee used to make Twisted Trousers in the full length. The bias trim was pre-made and inherited.  The waist band is white cotton lycra from Joann's (leftover scraps).


The halter began as Butterick 4503, with a couple of changes. First, I cut the back as one straight piece instead of with the split effect. Then, I have no idea what the heck I did wrong, but my straps were not nearly long enough to reach around her neck so I had a Tim Gunn make it work moment, and added a 4" strip. It still bothers me that I don't know why or how that happened. I am trying to force myself to let it go and not pull the pattern pieces back out and see what the heck I did.


I also changed the front by adding another layer and tying it up in the middle for a girly detail. I started out without a clear picture of what I was going for; I just knew I didn't want it plain like in the pattern. I cut that piece on the bias for added detail and just played around with it until I liked it. The fabric is some adorable two tone gingham cotton that I inherited; same with that cute button. Even the pattern and thread were inherited so this top cost NOTHING!





An outfit like this screams "summer" to me. It reminds me of things I wore as a child, but in a modern way. Our summer has gotten off to a slow start with crazy weather. We are now ready for the hot days and for lots of popsicles!



3 comments:

  1. So true, this outfit screams summer! I love the shorts fabric and the top pattern is just amazing. Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi it's Nicole from The Girl Charlee Team. These shorts are so cute! We would love to feature them in an upcoming Knit Picks post on The Girl Charlee Blog. If you're interested, please send a couple of images over to gcblog@girlcharlee.com :)

    Thanks!
    GirlCharlee.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much! E-mailing you right away.

      Delete

Please leave a comment. I'll respond via e-mail if I can or here if that's not possible.